In 1993-94 I learned the Japanese method of wheel-throwing with Steven Merritt at the Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, New York. In 1994-1997 I was a resident artist at the Manchester Craftsman Guild in Pittsburgh. At MCG I learned glazes and fired cone 10 reduction kilns and taught pottery and hand building to high school students. I also attended numerous workshops and lectures by ceramic artists such as Ken Ferguson, Karen Karnes, Michael Simon, Richard Aerni, David McDonald to name a few.
From 1997 to present I have exhibited at many outdoor and indoor art festivals with single-fired wood-ash glazed pottery. In 2010 I started introducing my crystalline work. I am an exhibiting member of the Craftsmen’s Guild of Pittsburgh, Ohio Designer Crafts, and the Michigan Guild.
Thomas's work has received several awards for his work, including:
• 2015 1st in Ceramics, Letchworth Arts and Crafts Show, Castile, NY
• 2015 Outstanding Craftsmanship, A Fair in the Park, Pittsburgh PA
• 2015 Honors, Three Rivers Arts Festival, Pittsburgh, PA
• 2015 Award of Merit, Boardwalk Art Show and Festival, Virginia Beach, VA
• 2014 1st in Ceramics, Letchworth Arts and Crafts Show, Castile, NY
• 2014 Best in Show, Three Rivers Arts Festival, Pittsburgh, PA
• 2013 Sand Dollar Award, Boardwalk Art Show and Festival, Virginia Beach, VA
• 2013 Third in Ceramics, Summerfair, Cincinnati, OH
• 2010 Third in Ceramics, Boardwalk Art Show and Festival, Virginia Beach, VA
• 2005 Functional Ceramics Exhibition, The Wayne Center for the Arts, Wooster, Ohio
• 2005 Best in Ceramics, Artigras Fine Arts Festival, Jupiter, FL
• 2004 Honorable Mention Ceramics, Lewiston Art Festival, NY
• 2004 Best Booth Design , Berea Arts Festival, Berea Ohio